Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Herbs list - on hand medicinals

I kept this mainly intact from the blog I got it from - I like the info on it... I really need to start doing more with my herbs! That way I have the knowledge.. its natural - put on earth to be used...
link for the following is http://www.commonsensehome.com/preparedness-homegrown-medicinals/
The mints (chocolate mint, lemon balm, catnip) make lovely teas.  They are also good for soothing stomach troubles – cramping, gas, indigestion, vomiting, upset stomach, and colic in babies.  I drank mint tea during my pregnancy to help settle my stomach.
Mullein is used externally for treating ear ailments, and internally for treating congestion.  It helps to loosen mucus so it can be expelled from the body.  This post provides more detailed information on harvesting, drying and use of mullein.  Both the blossoms and the leaves can be used.  Read Common Mullein – Weekly Weeder #13.
Red clover has an assortment of uses, many related to women’s health, including breast health, and helping with hot flashes and osteoporosis.  More details on red clover in Wildcrafting 101.  Read Clover – Weekly Weeder #4.
Yarrow is used against colds, cramps, fevers, kidney disorders, toothaches, skin irritations, and hemorrhages, and to regulate menses, stimulate the flow of bile, and purify the blood.  (More information in the post Real Healing Potions.) It’s a real powerhouse, but the taste leaves a lot to be desired.  Still, I keep it on hand, because you never know when you might need it.  Also, it grows abundantly (almost too abundantly) in my garden.  Be warned – it can spread like crazy.  I allow some of it to wander around, because it is supposed to help increase the essential oil content of herbs it is grown near and boost other plant’s disease resistance.  Read Common Yarrow – Weekly Weeder #34.
Chamomile is a general relaxant.  It makes a soothing tea, and can also be used in the bath.  To make a chamomile bath bomb, take a fabric scrap or old towel or hanky, place about 1/4 cup of dried chamomile in the center, tie with a ribbon and hang in the water stream as you fill your tub for a bath.  This can be dried and reused 2-3 times.
Raspberry leaf helps with many women’s health challenges, assisting from pregnancy to menopause.  It may also aid adrenal gland function.  Read Herbal Remedies for PMS.
Anise hyssop has a licorice taste that is often added to teas.  it was also used by Native Americans to treat coughs.
Another herb/weed that I use regularly that is not pictured here is plantain.  I use it most for skin irritations like mosquito bites and bee stings.  The results are nothing short of amazing.  For me, it works better than anythign else I’ve tried, including Benedryl spray.  In the post “Grandma Called it Medicine Leaf“, I describe harvesting plantain, using plantain fresh, and infusing plantain in oil.  I give instructions on “How to Make a Salve With Infused Oils“.  I like to keep the salve on hand for smaller spots like bug bites, and use the oil for larger areas like sunburns.  Read Common Plantain – Weekly Weeder #14.

No comments:

Post a Comment