Cinnamon-Apple Oven Pancake
Cook's note: A hand-held mixer is perfect for getting this dish mixed and into the oven quickly. An old-fashioned egg beater or whisk works well, too. You'll need to start preheating the oven a few minutes before mixing the pancake.
What you'll need
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk biscuit mix (such as Bisquick)
- 1/2 tsp. apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
- One 21 oz. apple pie filling
- Cooking oil spray
- 1-1/2 cups finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Warm maple syrup for passing at the table
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a 2-quart or larger bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in the milk, biscuit mix and apple pie spice. Blend well. (The batter will have some lumps.) Stir in the apple pie filling.
- Spray a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with cooking oil spray and pour in the batter. Bake for about 14 minutes or until the pancake just begins to brown around the edges and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. (The top will not brown.)
- Remove the pancake from the oven and sprinkle with the cheese. Return it to the oven for 2 minutes to melt the cheese. Let the pancake rest for 2 minutes and serve with warm maple syrup, if desired. Makes 6 servings.