Sunday, May 11, 2014

Catnip for me & you

Already happily growing in my garden is my Catnip
One of my favorite herbs for me & my cats!!
Its one of my main ingredients in my "Sleepy" tea blend

It has sedative properties & makes a relaxing and soothing tea. Valerian root which contains similar active ingredients, is often included in herbal sleep potions.

Because it is soothing and relaxing (antispasmodic) it is also used for digestive upsets (nervous dyspepsia) where the main cause is tension. Catnip is also recommended for muscular pain, cramps, colic in babies, spasms and tics and stomach pains. It is also helpful in headache where tension is mainly responsible.

Another bonus is Catnip leaves contain considerable quantities of vitamins C and E, both excellent antioxidants

Lastly Catnip (Nepeta cataria), is a hardy perennial, A herb of the mint family (Labiatae) so it is very easy to grow.
~Citrine~

Catnip's soothing effect is also useful in reducing menstual pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment