What are essential oils?
These oils are extracted from various parts of plants.
Here are a few popular essential oils and their sources below...
1. From the flower – Jasmine, Rose, Lavender
2. From leaves/grasses – Bay, Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Lemongrass
3. From the fruit – Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Grapefruit, Lime
4. From the berry – Juniper
5. From the wood – Sandalwood, Cedar, Rosewood, Neem
6. From the roots – Ginger, Orris
7. From the bark – Cinnamon, Ravensara
8. From the moss – Oakmoss
9. From the resin – Myrrh
How to use...
1. Essential oils are very strong and shouldn't be used directly. Always combine them with carrier oil (olive oil, coconut oil,) and use.
2. Essential oils vaporize easily. So keep the lid closed.
3. Always store the essential oils in a cool, dark place away from sunlight.
4. Essential oils are known to burn sensitive skin. So if you have particularly sensitive skin, stay away from these in regular dosage.
5. As they do not contain any fatty acids, these essential oils are not greasy.
6. Essential oils are very calming on the mind and the body. A few drops of lavender oil on your pillow case gets you a deep sleep.
7. Tea tree oil is also an essential oil. It is mainly used for the treatment of acne and blemishes. Make sure you dilute it with your regular moisturizer for application.
8. Essential oils are therapeutic in nature. They can be used as tranquilizers.
9. Another wonderful usage of these oils is in soaps and lotions. Use them in your moisturizer/body cream that has almost no fragrance, and add in tiny drops of essential oil to it, mix well and apply. This will ensure you a great smelling body all day J
10. Neem oil is used in the treatment of dandruff and boils on the scalp.
11. Sandalwood oil is extensively used in soap industry. Diluted sandalwood oil is known to fade acne blemishes and also treat skin on regular usage.
12. A great way to incorporate essential oils in your home is to add few drops in your humidifier or vaporizer. Alternatively, you can dampen some cotton balls with essential oils and place them near vents and fans. This ensures that your house smells great as you do.
13. Some essential oils are ingestible too namely lemon and grapefruit. Consumed in minute quantities, these oils will fill you with energy and help you achieve clear skin. A drop of these in your respective juices/smoothies is enough for consumption.
14. The most used essential oils for perfumes – jasmine oil and lavender oil. Orange oil is preferred for homes while lemons and neem are for insect repelling qualities.
Adapted article from stylecraze.com
Natures Sunshine Essential oil available from me athttp://www.naturessunshine.com/us/products/single-oils/cat-3-28.aspx